BIOCHAR LARGE CHUNK 6-25mm
This Biochar is created using ONLY clean forestry residuals from the Robson Valley area of British Columbia. It consists of solid wood derived from limbs, tops, and logs which are then shredded and screened before entering the pyrolysis system, resulting in a clean high-quality biochar product. The process is carbon neutral.
This Biochar is uncharged
- Increases soil aeration and soil pliability
- Nutrients can stick to the sides of biochar creating a long term food source for plant roots and microbes
- The cell structure of biochar contains tiny pores that provide homes for all kinds of microbiology to take up residence and thrive
- Increases the diversity and abundance of soil microbes
- Provides long-term atmospheric carbon sequestration
- Improves plant growth and increases yields
- Provides soil remediation, odor control and can reduce heavy metal toxicity in contaminated soils
HOW TO INOCULATE: Biochar can be inoculated by simply mixing it into high-quality compost at a 1:1 ratio. Let the biochar charge for a minimum of 14 days before adding the mixture to your soil. Biochar is hydrophobic, so make sure the moisture level of your compost is high enough when you start the process. You want to get your moisture level, temperature, and airflow just right in this process to avoid anaerobic conditions
- You can brew a microbe tea using aeration and soak your biochar in it to innoculate it
HOW TO BLEND: Once the biochar has been inoculated, it is ready to be blended into your soil
- In the garden, Add a 2cm - 10cm layer of biochar on top of your garden bed in the spring and work it into the soil to a depth of 20cm. We recommend a 10cm layer for poor soil
- Pre-mixing into potting mix, 5-50% by volume
- Carbon: >75%
- Ash: <10%
- PH: 9.4 (before inoculation)
- 6-25mm average size.
This product complies with Canadian certified organic crop production standards.